SMAC is seeking its next president!
President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Sheppard Military Affairs Committee (SMAC)
The Sheppard Military Affairs Committee is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose primary function is to serve as a voice for Sheppard Air Force Base (SAFB), the area’s largest employer, and the communities of North Texas and Southern Oklahoma. It is funded through public, business and individual donations.
Position Description and Responsibilities
The President and CEO of SMAC has overall strategic and operational responsibility for SMAC. These responsibilities include but are not exclusive to:
- Operate a single point of contact for all SAFB/community and business relations
- Establish and maintain relationships at Air Force, Air Education and Training Command (AETC) and SAFB to keep informed
- Research and evaluate current issues that could impact SAFB within the
- Department of Defense and Congress
- Facilitate resolution of current issues between appropriate entities
- Establish and maintain relationship with local political, public, and community leaders
- Establish and maintain contacts within the US Congressional delegation
- Establish and maintain contacts with the Texas legislators
- Manage Squadron Adopter Program
- Organize social engagements as needed, such as:
- Annual community wide event
- Annual Euro NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT) Dinner
- Reception for incoming Sheppard AFB Commanders
- Dinner for visiting Air Force leadership
- Organize and participate in visits to Congressional representatives, Pentagon officials and AETC as necessary
- Maintain communication with the Board of Directors
- Other duties as required
- Retired Military with a minimum rank of Lieutenant Colonel desired
- Understanding of the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process
- Knowledge of the Air Force organizational structure
- Understanding of Base Operations Support (BOS)
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to access to military installations
- Some weekend and overnight travel required
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is SMAC?
The Sheppard Military Affairs Committee (SMAC) is a non-profit organization whose primary function is to serve as a voice for Sheppard Air Force Base and North Texas. In 2005, the “BRAC” (Base Realignment and Closure) Commission moved basic medical training from Sheppard, resulting in a $48 million annual loss to our area economy. At this time, key community leaders established SMAC to protect and strengthen the missions at Sheppard.
Since its inception, SMAC has worked tirelessly to protect current missions and bring new opportunities to Sheppard. Today, as Washington leaders call for $100 billion in military spending cuts and the consideration of base closures, our work is more important than ever.
Contact your representative today and tell them what Sheppard means to you.
Support SMAC’s efforts to grow and protect SAFB
Join our registry & tell lawmakers that you stand up for SAFB.
Support our Troops. Become a Squadron Adopter.
Is SAFB at Risk?
Because of Department of Defense budget cuts, mission relocations and the constantly changing nature of the Air Force Mission, we are in danger of cutbacks at any time. Our community must remain vigilant in our support of Sheppard. Click here to learn more.